Monday, March 29, 2010

A Photographer's Prayer

Browsing in my Google Reader list this morning I ran across a post by Nikki Incandela -  A Photographer's Prayer, that I just had to pass on to all my friends.  

           As I bring my subject into focus and prepare to make each 
           portrait, never let me forget that I'm creating treasures for 
           some family, a keepsake for loved ones, assisting others to get 
           their life's work out into the world. Keep me sensitive to the 
           qualities and virtues of others, that I may draw out into the 
           light the beautiful radiant belongings of their hearts.

           Help me to be an artist, collecting the beauty of every soul, the 
           glow of youth and inner child of every client, the gentleness, 
           the laughter or tears of each life that is precious in my sight. 
           Deeper than a means of livelihood, give me the perspective 
           to see my photographer's art as a service to others, making 
           life richer and more memorable.

           Between the lights and shadows, the ups and downs and the 
           rolling years, keep me from getting out of focus or off center, 
           so that my life and work may be framed with dignity and 
           colored with contentment. Allowing only the highest of myself 
           to shine and recognizing the highest self within all others. That 
           all come and go from a place of pure love......
                                                                                         Amen!

           ~The author of this prayer is unknown unfortunately and I've 
            adjusted it slightly to fit my core beliefs a little more. I hope 
            you enjoyed it and it allows you to know me just a little bit 
           more. :o)



Thanks Nikki, I love it.  It's a prayer that expresses many of my own feelings about photography, It's not about making money or marketing for me, I just want to create images that families will treasure for ever. Yes I know I have to charge for my time, I'm not independently wealthy and all that gear costs, big bucks,  but I'm lucky enough to be in a part of life where making money is not as important as it once was - for me it's all about the joy of creation.  


O.K. - no more reading or writing -  it's back to looking for those *&%$# "lost" files - I've been searching for the last two days.  I should be sending up a prayer that I will find them soon - the silver lining on this cloud is that it has motivated me to reconstruct my whole Lightroom Catalog. 



No comments:

Post a Comment