Monday, January 17, 2011

Photo LA_ 2011



 Went to Photo LA – it is the place to go if you are a collector and have thousands of dollars to spend and it is also the place to go if you are photographer and want to network with other photographers, have your portfolio reviewed, attend interesting lectures, or most importantly, be inspired by the work of your fellow photographers.




There are thousands of photographs hung on the walls, placed on the floor and in viewing bins

There are photographs from around the world  ...and opportunities to get involved in the photography community.
 


Rob Carter 
I take a minute to chat with Bruce Hall (Blind Photographers Guild. Bruce is partially sighted but is considered "legally blind".)  He does underwater photography and has some wonderful images of his two sons , who love to play in the water, in this exhibit.  Bruce and I took a printing class together at Orange Coast College and I watched his work on this print.  (Our instructor: John HeskethPhotomation printing in Anaheim)

Next, I stop by Samys Camera and [the =equation]2 and have my pic snapped                                               for their “guerilla art wall”.


A huge soft box towers over the "models".
Details, details, put the bag down, pull up your jacket, place your glasses in your  bag - OK. that is what the photographer should have said to me - what a missed opportunity - good lesson for me.

This image was captured at the Women In Photography International booth.
Much better - perhaps I will join their organization after all :)

Then it's time to get a bite to eat at SALT out in the lobby.  I have Smokin Turkey (turkey, gruyere, brie, arugula, cranberry mustard on  ciabatta,) and a cup of tea. 



Just as I am walking out the door I run into David Healy. He has been a guest speaker in some of my classes at Cypress College.   He is a master printer and photographer – but all in Silver Gelatin, and I can’t find any links to his work (will keep looking and post when I find something to share – his work is breathtaking.)



Outside I ran into my friends Greg and Itzell and their two boys Gyasi and Kwame.  What a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment